Thursday, May 31, 2007

Juggling with Chainsaws

Did you see the very passionate verbal exchange between Rosie O'Donnell and Elizabeth Hassellbeck of The View last week? I'm sure you have. It's been all over the media. Their choice words for one another vigorously defending their points - wait - what were their points?

Or, in more recent news, the email that infamous celebrity Nichole Richie sent to all of her closest skinny, alcohol swilling friends, inviting them to her place to "drink until we pass out," to celebrate the brave men and women who sacrificed for their country? A simple friendly invitation to a Memorial Day barbecue she claims. A joke. And no, she didn't really have a scale at the front door weighing the girls like the invitation threatened: "No girls over 100 pounds allowed."

Then there's dear Lindsay. The sweet faced little one who stole our hearts in the delightful remake of "The Parent Trap" seems to be caught in a trap of her own these days. The trap of bad decision making and not having the good sense to at least make those bad decisions away from the flash bulbs of the ever-zealous paparazzi.

Choices. Life is full of them and the consequences to them can be great. They can ruin friendships, ruin careers, take us on a path of destruction and heartache. Or, choices can give us power. They can give us a voice. They can open up possibilities we never imagined would be ours for the taking. They can take us down the road of blessings, give us our heart's desire, bring us joy and peace we never thought possible. Our choices can inspire others and be the catalyst that makes this world better rather than worse. Build people up rather than tear them down.

I don't know what choices to make in all the unknowns in my life right now. I just know that I'd rather choose to juggle live chainsaws than intentionally hurt people with my words and actions. And yet, sometimes I fail. We all fail. So I can look at these celebrities with disdain and judgment and whisper a, "Thank goodness that's not my problem!" or I can offer up a little prayer for them all and ask that they get help and encouragement in their lives to make good choices.

Come to think of it, couldn't we all use that?

7 comments:

Wanda said...

Kim: So well said.

You know how badly I needed that after reading my email.

Choices....every day, so many times a day...Lord help me make the right and wise ones.

Thanks Kim.

Deirdre said...

I'm torn between feeling bad for these people and the choices that led them to bad places - and wanting to smack the heck out of them.

Yes, there are so many times we have to step back and be thankful we're not making our mistakes in public. Trying to be more aware takes energy and commitment.

Amber said...

Oh great. Thanks for being all "Christian", and making me feel bad! LOL!

No, you are right. Although I AM sick of the obsession with these people. I also feel bad for them...sort of. But is makes me mad to see people who have so much, just make choices that toss it away, when so many people struggle just to get by. But. I guess I should find compassion even for these people. They are obviously at a disadvantage, after all. Spiritually, at least. And maybe mentally, too. Money can't buy character or brains...

:)

Deb R said...

What rose is that in the pic? I don't think I've ever seen one that dark!

Lovely post, Kim!

Tammy Brierly said...

Beautiful post Kim and I always feel sadness for people who make poor choices. Prayer works well :) XXOO

Angela Marie said...

How funny.. I have a post in the works about "choices"... It's all about choices that we make.

Angela Marie said...

Great choice of flower for this post by the way! :)