Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Candlelight Bliss

It's a season of introspection for us at the G-house. Things are changing. Kids are growing, becoming more independent and yet more in need of guidance and our time than ever. We are questioning. How are we doing as parents?

We have neighbors in transition. We lost our dear Mrs. T. earlier this year and for the past two weeks our beloved neighbor, Mr. R. has been struggling to survive serious heart problems. He's in the same wing of the local hospital where we said our goodbyes to Mrs. T. We've been trying to be good neighbors, caring for Mrs. R. in crisis and still watching out for Mr. T. who has now found a "lady friend" and tells us he is engaged. My Grandfather and my Uncle both married quickly after becoming widowers and it turned out badly for both. Needless to say, I'm cautiously optimistic for my dear neighbor but I hope the outcome is good.

We are questioning our roles at church. Where should we be serving? Are we going through the motions and falling in where others expect we should? Are we really using our gifts and passions for the Lord? Are we being a blessing to others or just spinning our wheels?

Me - I'm struggling with the desire to just shut the doors and hide for the next 29 years. If I didn't know better, I'd say I've got an acute case of people-phobia. (Maybe that's why blogging looks so good again all of the sudden!) My book club that I used to love is meeting tonight and I have absolutely no desire to go even though they are all lovely women whom I really like and respect.

Last night, Brad and I sat on our patio by candlelight. We laid it all out on the table so to speak and talked for nearly two hours about these topics and others. It was bliss. I am so amazed how God picked this man, the perfect man for me, to sit across from me on a warm spring evening and make everything OK just by listening and really hearing me.

When we finally came in at 11:00 pm last night, I said, "Can we do this every night?" He smiled and took my hand and I knew, that if I wanted, he'd be there every night with the candles lit. Yep, I picked a winner. I love you babe.

8 comments:

Deirdre said...

Questioning is good. It means the answers are nearby. What a sweetie husband to light candles and talk for hours. Yep, you got a good one.

Wanda said...

Everyone needs a "people break" from time to time. You have put so much into what you do...serving people, writing your books, it's time for you. It's deserved, and approved from on High!!!
PS. Chp.#4 was great today!!!

Tell your husband we love him for loving you so good!

Tammy Brierly said...

I have had to step back a few times to re-group. Together with God at your side's you will work it out. HUGS

Amber said...

Aww, yes. The blessing of a good man. That makes me smile. ;)

I was feeling pushed into roles at church. I said yes, and then i just found myself being put on the spot for tons of other things I did not want to do...I had to cut out all of it! Now I am going to have better boundaries about what i agree to, and feel okay saying no and meaning it.

:)

Cheryl said...

Yeah! What a wonderful evening. I'm so glad you had that special time with your man!

People breaks...yep...I need them too...often! Oh, and transitions! I'm convinced that this time in life and from here on out is just a continual transition of some kind! It is not for the faint of heart!!

I'll be remembering you in prayer regarding all of these things.

You're not alone...that is for sure! Oh, I wish I could have been sitting on your patio with you...of course, that may have been a bit awkward! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love those kind of conversations. Thanks for sharing. I pray that God will guide you and your hubbby in the right direction for your family.

Lots of love,
Trisha

Jenny said...

Being with a man you love to have conversation with is such a gift!

Anonymous said...

This theme is simply matchless :), it is very interesting to me)))