Monday, May 21, 2007

Bird Envy


Last weekend, as we lingered on my in-laws patio after a scrumptious Mother's Day Barbecue, I watched in amazement as no less than 4 different varieties of birds snacked at one of their feeders. They were gorgeous and wonderful after-dinner entertainment.

Yesterday, I was at a friend's house out of the city and watched humming-birds and yellow breasted finches and red winged black-birds all find a snack in her back yard.

Something, stirred inside of me. I want pretty little birds visiting my back yard. I went to the store and bought premium, already shelled bird seed and filled three feeders in the back yard. Brad hung the bird house that he and the boy made from their Father/Son retreat back in March. I planted new, bright flowers in my planters.

OK birds . . . you can come now. Here birdy, birdy . . . .

Hmmm . . . not many takers yet. In the first 24 hours, only one very skeptical looking blue jay who took a nibble and then moved along.

Could it be I live in a community of bird snobs? Is my yard not good enough for their standards? I know we're all waiting for the world to change, but me, I'm also waiting for the birds to come.

(The birds in the photo came in a rush of wing-flapping and chirping on a Saturday morning last year. They are Cedar Waxwings and out Red Hot Firepokers are in full bloom again and we're waiting for this flock of birds to come back.)

6 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

Great picture Kim.

I've never seen Red Hot Firepokers before. Is that an Oregon thing?

Cool.

Brad said...

Kim

Are you going to be the new 'bird woman of Oregon.' "If you feed them, they will come."

xo
bg

Wanda said...

What an adorable picure. Love it.

Amber said...

Aww, bird feeders! You need to hang them around flowers. My grandpa, with his amazing garden, would have the most beautius birds come! *sigh*

Or try painting the feeder a bright color?

:)

Cheryl said...

Love the picture! So that's what they're called...red hot firepokers!? Never knew that although I've seen them around!

Here's hoping with you that the birdies will soon arrive!

CT

Angela Marie said...

This is too funny! I have done the same thing... I even put a bird bath under my tree. NOTHING! There are not any cats, so I don't know what the problem is.

Hope your birds find you!