Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Root of the Problem - Reflections on Retreat


I'm still processing the weekend spent with a group of women seeking to follow Christ authentically and honestly. The speaker offered us much to think about and reflect upon. Here's what's been swirling in my head and heart this week. I hope that no matter what your path of faith, there might be something here that resonates with you or encourages you this week.

True humility is an accurate picture of self. A realization that we are capable of great and horrible things.

Compassion is an emptying out of what isn't to make room for what is.

We are made for wholeness. We tend to live with a bent towards being like the prodical son, selfish, demanding, seeking to meet our own needs, or like the older brother, bitter, resentful and tied to a life of legalism. How can we move towards the middle? The place where grace meets responsibility?

Do I really live as the beloved of Jesus? How would my life change if I was truly living in the understanding of this?

Fear manifests itself as lies, disobedience and shame (I would add to the list - judgment). How do I ready myself to stand firm in faith against the fear?
"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment." 1 John 4:19a

The subject of blogging came up a few times at our meetings and the three of us there who had blogs answered lots of questions. It was fun to share the elements of compassion and community that are revealed in this form of expression and the relationships that grow from it. Thanks to all who left me blogiversary greetings on my last post and thank to those of you stopping by for the first time. Welcome!

I'm deep into my writing project again this week so I'll apologize in advance for the lack of posts this week. Please remember to pray for my dear bloggie friend Amber who is having surgery today. Hope you are all well and enjoying the blessings that come your way each day.

2 comments:

Jennifer S. said...

Sounds like a great retreat with a lot of opportunity for growth and reflection. Thanks for sharing.

Tammy Brierly said...

I love women's retreats. Have you studied or read anything by Beth Moore? She's really great!