Thursday, February 08, 2007

Move over Oprah . . .


Came home from work yesterday and nestled into the couch to finish "The Twentieth Wife". The experience and the story were just what I needed. A wonderful romance set in the beauty and splendor of the Mughal Empire in India (1526-1858). For three and a half centuries, the Taj Mahal has haunted our imaginations. It is a tomb built by a grieving king of the Mughal Empire (1526-1858) in India in memory of his beloved wife.
But it was this woman's aunt, an empress in her own right, who was the most powerful queen of that dynasty. The Twentieth Wife is the story of this Empress Nur Jahan.

Now - no more books until I finish my writing project although, I have a couple more I can't wait to dive into! Let me know if you decide to read "The Twentieth Wife" - I'd love to hear what you think.

10 comments:

Alex S said...

I have never heard of this book Kim! I will go look it up on Amazon! Good luck with your writing!!!

Leah Kadwell said...

I will definitely be reading this one... now I just have to find it and hope that it's in one of our bookstores here in good 'ole South Asia....

paris parfait said...

I'll definitely look for this one. Sounds fascinating! Hope your writing goes well.

Lisa said...

Hello Kim -
I have been lurking on your blog for awhile now - sorry I haven't spoke up sooner. Found your blog via Leah's

Your writing has been so "real" and inspirational!

On Sunday, I RAN to the library to pick up this book. The first 5 chapters were easily consumed. Thanks for the reccomendation. Move over Oprah!

Thanks,
Lisa (Ashe) Hertel

Left-handed Trees... said...

Now I've got another title scribbled in my journal to look into--I've been on the hunt for some really delicious books to see me through the rest of this Winter! Thanks for the insight...
Love,
D.

Wanda said...

Hi Kim: I was reading your post on Angela's, Sweet Surrender and felt a connection. I am a brand new blogger, with only a generic post at this time, waiting for some pictures, to complete my banner and tag line. Angela and Darlene are helping me. my blog is Brush Strokes from the Heart. I could see when I went to your post we do have many things in common. I look forward to a friendship with you in blog land.
Wanda

Amber said...

Oh thanks a lot.
I have such a pile of books to read before school starts, when I am sure I will get to do very little fun reading. Now one more.

:)

briliantdonkey said...

That doesn't sound like anything I would like,but I whole heartedly understand the 'whole bunch of books I would like to dive into' thing. Mine are on a waiting list.

BD

Kim G. said...

Thanks to all who commented! BD - I promise to recommend some non-chick titles in the future! Don't you have a significant other that might enjoy this though?

Lisa said...

I would like to show you what your book recommendation has meant for me these last few months.

Here are is a link to my blog that talks about it:

http://lisahertel.blogspot.com/2007/04/feast-of-roses.html

P.S.
I like your new blog template. The last one was just as beautiful.