Monday, February 05, 2007

Don't give up on me . . .

I've been trying for days to think of something intelligent to write. The well just seems to be a bit dry so I'm going to steal a page from my friend Deb and offer you some "Random Thoughts From The Junkdrawer of My Mind".

1. Was anyone else disappointed with the Superbowl commercials? The game was decent at least. We decided to forego the very generous invitation of some friends and we just hung out at our own house for the game. Brad had been washing windows since we are enjoying a warm streak here in the PNW while the rest of the country is frozen solid. My windows haven't looked this clean in a couple of years!

2. Finally saw "The Queen" on Friday night with my movie buddy, Trisha. LOVED this movie. I'll write a post on this soon as I could so resonate with some of the themes and the very "British" expressions on grief and loss. More to come - pinky swear! I'm wanting to see more of the Oscar nominees before the ceremony but not sure when I'm going to squeeze them in.

3. So excited about my young man's writing project this week. They had to pick an African American and will work on writing a biography and preparing a speech for the class. J. chose Duke Ellington. He came home and googled D.E. this afternoon and the sweet sounds of jazz were coming from the computer. Man, I have one cool kid!

4. I had to write "a letter of concern" to my daughter's 7th grade health teacher today. I never thought I'd be one of those complainy parents but I just really don't get this one. The kids have to read several fiction or non-fiction books that have to deal with individuals facing health issues. Natalie chose a book called "The Lost Boy". She shared with me that there's several instances in the book where characters are using "salty" language (including the f-bomb). Now don't get me wrong, for a good piece of literature, I'm willing to let salty language and even an f-bomb or two slide, but what bothers me is this is required reading for 7th graders! And if Natalie hadn't told me about it, I would have never known she was reading this. I'm trying to express to my kids that this isn't appropriate language for school, home (or anywhere for that matter) and the school is endorsing it? I asked the teacher if I could please have a list of the books, why they were chosen, a brief summary of the contents and an indication of any language that my daughter would get in trouble for SAYING that she might be reading in these books. I may come off like a fundamentalist freak, but I feel like I did the right thing. I still might let her read them but I'd like to know what she's reading.

5. For my praying friends, please lift me up as I work on finishing a 9 lesson Bible Study. I'm a bit slogged down and need some fresh inspiration to sprint to the finish line on this one.

6. I'm so excited about a new employee at my workplace that is starting all kinds of new outreach projects in the community. We're making plans to get our families involved in work to help street kids and the homeless of Portland and I'm so excited to see how this will stretch many of us who have felt this burden for our community. I had lunch with his wife on Friday and felt like they are a couple who really "get" the burdens Brad and I often feel for moving out of the pews of our church and into the world.

7. I'm stealing minutes here and there to furiously read "The Twentieth Wife". It was truly a book I judged by the cover. Saw it on a trip to Powell's but held firm to my New Year's resolution not to buy any books this year and so I checked it out from the library. It's a wonderful love story set in the late 1500's in India. I'm excited to give my reading maniac friend Leah a report when I'm done. She's already got 4 books under her belt in 2007!

8. Do you think I could make this an even ten things on my junkdrawer list? Hmmm - to my loyal readers, don't worry - the skunk smell is gone and there are no more signs of the little critters. If you're just visiting ETS, just move along to number 9.

9. Uhhhh . . . I said I'd try for 10, didn't I? Well February isn't turning out to be so bad. And as Leah pointed out, there are some nice birthdays in February including this handsome stud.

10. Wishing you all a great week and I promise something of substance soon. Bless ya!

6 comments:

Deb R said...

Substance, schmubstance, your junk drawer thoughts are substantial enough. I enjoyed reading what's on your mind!

Anonymous said...

Could you let me know how # 6 turns out? I have been wondering about how to get my family involved in some outreach. Thanks for your thoughts!
Michelle Domeika

Jenny said...

Super Bowl commercials -- I loved the Oprah and David Letterman one, but I guess that was more of a promo than a commercial.

Cheryl said...

Good for you--writing a note to the teacher. I'm right there with you babe! I was wondering about "The Queen"...it is on my list of "must sees." Thanks for sharing your junk drawer!

Amber said...

I don't think you should be thought of as "fundy" because of that issue. And you KNOW I know how to toss around the F-bomb! ;)

I have read that book, and I'm not sure it is a great thing for kids that age to read, actually. It is full of really horrible acounts of chid abuse. I mean, it touched me. And the author is a true survivor. But are kids that age ready to deal with the facts of his abuse? Um...some of my adult clients whe I was counseling were thrown into crisis because of the feelings it brought up.

I wish teachers would think about things a little more. Sometimes it's like they get a hair up their ass about something, and don't think they should talk to the parents about it if they think it is a good idea.

And I never thought I would be "one of those" parents...But I think it may happen anyway.

:)

Darlene said...

Give up?
Never!

A ton of love, with a gentle hug and a great big kiss *SMACK*

XOXO Darlene