Thursday, December 21, 2006

A Christmas Meme

(Photo from Pittock Mansion, Oregon)

Wrapping paper or gift bags? If I'm opening, wrapping paper - if I'm wrapping, gift bags! (Lazy girl!)

Real tree or artificial? Real, although I feel the pressure to move to the dark side.

Eggnog, hot chocolate or apple cider? When I was about 7 years old I was sledding with the neighbor kids behind my friend Colleen's house. Her mom made a big pot of hot chocolate for all the kids. Guess who drank too much and went home and promptly threw up gallons of hot chocolate? Yup - that'd be me! Can't drink it to this day. I've honestly never tried eggnog - I just can't get past the yuck factor of the name. So, I guess it's apple cider although my new favorite tea flavor is white tea with lemon from Stash. That sounds even better.

Favorite gift as a child? A few: a bike when I was about 9, a hand crocheted blanket from my mom when I was about 12, my own phone when I was about 14.

Nativity Scene? Not a nice one. One that looks like it's made from Femo Clay that I bought at a craft store when the kids were little. This year for a table centerpiece for my Bible Study, I bought a Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus from the Dollar store and they're not terribly ugly - just very "white" looking. Someday, I'd love to have a nice set that doesn't look "canned" or like the traditional nativity scene but looks authentic, with dark skninned, dark haired figures. Last year I almost bought a beautiful metal sculptured nativity scene at Bombay Company but even at half price it was about $90. Ouch!

Hardest person to buy for? My mom. She buys everything for herself as soon as she thinks she needs it.

Easiest person? This year, my daughter. She just got her ears pierced so earrings are a safe bet.

Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail - but email sounds easier!

Worst gift received? Can't really think of one. Maybe an article of clothing that just wasn't my style.

Favorite Christmas movie? Miracle on 34th Street, the new one and The Polar Express.

When do you start shopping for Christmas? Maybe here and there through the summer but mostly after December 1st.

Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Maybe something generic like candles or something like that.

Favorite thing to eat? Chocolate crinkle cookies, thumbprint cookies and cranberry sauce. Can you tell I have a sweet tooth?

Clear or colored lights? Clear - non blinking.

Outside lights? Yes - but just a row along the gutter line of the house. Nothing like Chevy Chase . . .

Favorite Christmas Song? Oh Come let Us Adore Him, O Little Town of Bethlehem

Travel or stay home?
My preference - stay home, but we've traveled a few times. Since we built the addition on our house, we have the best setup for entertaining so we have hosted for the last few years.

Angel on top of tree or star?
Star - no question. That's what I grew up with. I'm flexible on most things, but I won't budge on this one.

Open presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? Growing up it was one on Christmas eve (PJ's) and the rest on Christmas morning. Now it just depends who we're celebrating with and when.

Favorite ornament theme or color?
Nothing in particular. My mom buys us a Hallmark ornament each year so I've got a lot of those on my tree.

Favorite Christmas Dinner? One that I don't have to cook . . .

What do you want for Christmas this year?
Books, more books, and a few candles to light to make my house smell pretty. Peace and joy and good health for my friends and loved ones!

Tag, you're it! If you haven't already done this one!

5 comments:

Amber said...

Books.
Yep. You are my kinda gal.;)
Why do people thikn it is so lame when I say I ONLY want GC to a bookstore??

Merry Christmas.

:)

Jenny said...

Funny about the hot chocolate. I'm like that with broccoli. Too bad broccoli is good for you.

Wishing you a merry Christmas and lots o good books!

Writer Bug said...

Very nice meme! I just might steal it . Merry Christmas!

Tammy Brierly said...

Great stuff here Kim! Please let us know the great books you get ;)

You so could pull off a poem for Christmas ;) He'd LOVE it!

Merry Christmas!

Deb R said...

I've done this one (or one similar) but it was fun to read your answers!

I'm with you on the books thing. Book store gift cert. make me very happy. :-)