Saturday, April 07, 2007

A different kind of Easter . . .






















Easter is filled with traditions. We have ours; coloring eggs, decorating the "Easter tree", egg hunts, baking an Easter cake, going to church. This year, things are a bit different.

The boy is getting over the chicken pox. He still has two stubborn ones on his face that refuse to scab over.

Today, the girl woke up with a 102 degree fever. The exact same way the boy did a week and a half ago. Could another week of quarantine be in my future?

Instead of taking my son to his last Easter egg hunt at our church (next year he'll be too old for the official hunt) I wiped the two tears that squeezed out of his eyes last night when I told him he still wasn't able to be around other kids yet.

Instead of being at church tonight, I'm home with a limp and feverish daughter and a bored boy.

Instead of celebrating a risen Savior today, I went to the funeral of a 2 year old little girl who lost her courageous battle with cancer this week. How can I complain about my disrupted holiday traditions after seeing these broken parents say good-bye to their only child today. I really can't.

Instead of having brunch with my family tomorrow morning and then visiting with my in-laws and my niece and nephew and seeing their new baby, we'll be home, nursing our kids back to health. We'll reflect on the goodness of a God who stands with us during the good times and the bad and we'll be thankful that this is one tradition that will never change in our family.

Hope you and yours have an Easter filled with blessings.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim, I missed seeing you tonight! I have been praying for you and the boy this week. :) Now I will start praying for the girl. :) I am praying that tomorrow will be a special day for just the four of you. I know tomorrow is a different day for us as well, but I realize that sometimes when more people are involved the time with my girls isn't as special. I only have them for a time, just as your friends did with their daughter. I want to make the most of it. :) I pray that I am and that they see and feel that.

Michele

Alex S said...

Oh Kim, I hope everyone is feeling much, much better very, very soon. I am wishing you and your whole family a meaningful Easter holiday filled with love. (I wanted to send you an email but I can't find your address! Can you email me at leapbrightly@yahoo.com when you have a chance so I have it again? I wanted to write you back last week and I'm SO glad you changed your template because it was really hard to read, esp on my little tiny laptop!) Sending you a hug !

Angela Marie said...

Oh Kim! I hope your little ones are feeling better soon.

Just when I am feeling bad about a situation in my life... God always shows me something else to think about.

Your "Easter Tree" is beautiful!
Your little boy is a cutie too!

Happy Easter to you and yours!

Kamsin said...

Happy Easter Kim, even if it's not quite as you might have planned it! I hope everyone is better soon. I guess attending a funeral for a 2 y.o. puts it all in perspective. God bless!

Amber said...

Yes. Even sick, we still have them..And that is so much. I am so sorry about the little baby girl. That makes me so sad... Dang it! I will say a prayer for her mom and dad tonight.
Dang it!

I hope your heart is filled with Love. Happy Easter.

:)

Jenny said...

I hope your kids get better soon. Happy belated Easter.

Left-handed Trees... said...

I hope you are all on the mend again soon...and it is true that such horrible losses truly do put things in perspective. This was so sad...
Love,
D.