Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The only thing missing was a glass of wine...

The further I travel down the path of this thing called "blogging" , I am amazed at how it shrinks the world around me.

Yesterday, I spoke to a young moms group at Laurel Community Church about the topic of guilt in mothering. I posted a few nuggets from my talk in yesterday's post just thinking it would be nice to share a few of the pearls of wisdom I gained in all the research for the talk. Imagine my surprise to get a nice comment from Devra Renner, the author of one of the books I used as a resource for my talk.

Devra co-wrote the book Mommy Guilt with her sister, Aviva Pflock and a friend, Julie Bort in response to their own experiences with the expectations and ups and downs of parenthood. Devra and I exchanged emails last night and eventually ended up on the phone with one another. I felt like one spoiled chick as she graciously answered my questions about the research for the book, her experiences as a mom, her career as a writer, social anthropology, Judaism and so on, and so on, . . . it was quite the phone call! The poor gal lives in the Washington D.C. area and I kept her on the phone until 10:30 pm my time. There's kindness for you! I felt like one spoiled little girl having my very own book club discussion with the author. The only thing missing, was the glass of wine! (Well, I'm not sure if Devra had a bottle open on her end . . . the way I talked her ear off, I wouldn't be surprised if she felt like she needed a drink when she hung up the phone.)

Devra was so gracious and kind and I'd like to give her and her website, Parentopia, a big bloggie shout-out and encourage all of you who are parents to visit it and take a look. Thanks again Devra, for the wonderful discussion!

6 comments:

Laini Taylor said...

That's so cool, Kim!! I love experiences like that that happen through blogging and I can no longer imagine the "before" -- my imagination fails me. Did we all feel like little goldfish in our own little bowls, unable to find other kindred goldfish? ha ha. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Darlene said...

Happy Thanksgiving Kim
to you and all of your family

Enjoy :D

darlene xoxox

Amber said...

Awesome!It IS such a small world! I have seen this book... I will pick it up. Because Lawdy knows I have been feeling enough guilt as of late. Pft!

I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving, my friend. oxox

:)

Cheryl said...

I'm so thrilled for you! It was easy to hear your excitement as I read your blog about your phone conversation. I wish I had read that book about 18 years ago! It would have saved me a lot of time and energy! It's true--you don't get any extra "super-mommy" jewels for your crown by feeling guilty. I'm so glad you were able to go share with these young moms!

Blessings! And happy belated Thanksgiving!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Now Kim, don't feel "guilty" about taking up Devra's time. You blessed her with your presence and enthusiasm as much as she blessed you!

: )

Devra said...

I agree completely, there were blessings going back and forth and absolutely no guilt about it! ; )