Monday, September 04, 2006

A sad day

Today, I made my kids cry. They weren't in trouble. I wasn't pulling out a nasty splinter or ripping off a tough band-aid. I was actually doing something good for them but the response was tears, gasps and sadness that filled their faces and hearts.

I had to tell them the news that one of their childhood idols was gone. The Crocodile Hunter was one of the first shows we used to watch as a family. There was many a Saturday night that we would rush home from church, whip up a plate of nachos and sit down for an exciting night at the Australia Zoo with Steve, Terry and his friends. We went to see their movie on opening day - fans of the Animal Planet and their rising star from down under.

While my kids cried at the news of Steve Irwin's untimely and sad death, I used the opportunity to talk to my kids about following their passions. This man died doing what he absolutely loved to do. He died happy and fulfilled in many ways because he followed his passions while he was alive. I told my kids that I wanted them to always remember the love Steve Irwin had for his work and his family. I told them how I hoped and that I would be praying that they would find something in their lives that they would love just as much. I explained to them no one ever knows how much time they have on this earth, so it is important that we use the time well.

Kind of goes with my Sunday Scribbling post from yesterday. We're here to live a life. It's taken me a while to grasp this, but I don't want my kids to waste one day.

For those of you who pray, please remember my baby girl as she starts her first day of Middle School tomorrow. (Aaaccckk!) She's a bit nervous, but I know she's going to do great. J's taking it all in stride and is excited to see his teacher from last year as he's looping to the next grade with her. Me? I'll be the one heaving a big sigh of relief at about 8:30 am tomorrow when they all are on their way.

7 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

I posted about Steve Irwin today too! Love him! He was a true hero.

Good luck to the kiddies starting school! Middle school is tricky business. Wishing you a big exhale and hopefully a moment to relax!

paris parfait said...

It's terribly sad about Steve Irwin - but how lovely that you used this sad occasion to point out to your children that Irwin truly lived his life to the fullest - an inspiration! Good luck to your daughter, but she'll be fine. The first day of school is a bit like stage fright - once you're there, you're fine.

Jenny said...

I was sad about Steve Irwin too, though not surprised. A part of him must've known that there was a high risk that he'd die young at the hands of a wild animal.

I remember when I switched careers I thought: I'd rather be a freelance writer for one day and die than live a long life and never take the chance of trying my hand at a writing career.

Thankfully I don't tend to encounter stingrays on my new writing path.

Laini Taylor said...

Hi Kim! I'm still stunned by the news. It's tragic -- and sorry your kids were hit so hard by it. I think you're so right to emphasize how much he had made a unique life for himself doing exactly what he wanted to do.

(Also, I couldn't find an email link for you -- can you email me? I want to ask you something!)

Tinker said...

Great tribute to a great man who lived his life fearlessly and fully. He was (well, still IS) my grandgirls' hero also, though they're a bit young yet to grasp the conversation you had with your children - I think you handled breaking this news in the best way possible. Thank you for sharing this.

Amber said...

Oh, we were so sad about this, too! Kory is taken aback at how sad it has made him. And I think it is because of what you so beautifully put it-- that he was a man who lived his passions. An dalso, he was kind and truely JOYFUL, wasn't he? I loved that about him.

:)

Writer Bug said...

Great post. You sound like a terrific mom! What a great lesson you're instilling in your kids.