Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Bloggerfest PDX

About nine months ago, I stumbled across my first blog. I found it through a weekly email that highlights talented up-and-coming creative artists. Christine Miller (a.k.a. Swirly Girl) wrote the most amazing, rich, relevant and personal journal entries to go along with her beautiful art. And more than that, she demystified the art of creating. She let you in on her process, her thoughts, her insecurities and her triumphs. I was hooked.

Soon after I started reading her blog, she wrote about an upcoming retreat with her blogging friends in California. I quickly followed the links like a starving bird devouring fresh baked bread crumbs. For days I read the reports of their wonderful retreat and how it had nourished each one's creative spirit. How great, I thought. To share that kind of an experience with people who love doing the same things you do would be so fun.

Well, I had a little taste of that wonderful encouragement and inspiration last night when I got the chance to meet Laini (Grow Wings), Alexandra (Marvelous madness), Liz (be present, be here), Jennifer (Life's Snapshots) and Deirdre (Writing Anam Cara) for dinner in Portland last night. We were treated to a lovely sushi dinner by Deirdre's wonderfully generous partner, R. (I'm not sure how he feels about being "revealed" in blogs so I'll protect his identity, besides, he might not want to have all his friends knowing he has the habit of picking up tabs for tables full of people he's just met!) A surprise guest joined us for gellato after dinner - Laini's husband Jim (Jimbo Jabber).

What a wonderful time of getting to know these great women (and the fellows, too)! The conversations were rich with encouragement, creativity, and above all, acknowledgement of this wonderful device - blogging - that can bring perfect strangers together to find they have so much in common. I drove home feeling like I need hours more of time to ask each woman all the questions that were swirling in my head. I'm hoping that this was just the first of our get-togethers and that we'll have more opportunities to connect in the future.

(OK - my camera battery was dead so I didn't get any pictures, but go to Jennifer's site to see us posing pretty on the streets of Portland!)

14 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hooray! I'm so glad you were able to connect with these "sisters"! I'd love to hear more about it! I also checked out the photo--VERY CUTE!

We'll have to do lunch again soon!

Yolanda said...

Looks like you had so much fun.

Deb R said...

Ooooh, what FUN!! And I'm glad Jennifer got a photo.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Sounds like an awesome time. What a great idea?

Amber said...

AGH! Jealllllous! That's what I am! a whole group of some of my very favorite bloggers, and I am stuck in California... Grrrr.....

:)

Kamsin said...

Sounds like you had a great evening. And blogging is great isn't it!

Alex S said...

I loved meeting you too! Its amazing how this blogging world can bring people together who would otherwise never know of each other! Hopefully you can join our women's goup next time we meet!

Left-handed Trees... said...

Lucky ladies!

Laini Taylor said...

Hi Kim! I had such a great time the other evening and I'm so glad you made it after all. This whole blogging experience has been amazing for me, meeting women like all of you, and getting to get together in PERSON. It's truly wonderful. I wish more of our gals lived close, but I'm glad you're a neighbor.

Writer Bug said...

That's so great! I find communities like that SO inspiring. I found one in my MFA program and in my book club. I'm so happy that you did too!

Deirdre said...

Oh, there are so many questions I still want to ask too. It was a great evening and really too short. Richard (he doesn't mind) had a great time with everyone. He's so impressed with my choice of friends. Now, to figure out how to do it again.

paris parfait said...

That is a great photo of all of you! I'm so happy you all got together and had a marvelous time! And I'm so glad you're blogging. Save your pennies for Paris! xo

Paulette Insall ~ Reflecting Colors of the Soul said...

Hi Kim! I followed a link on Laini's blog post over to your blog. I'm so glad I did! Wow such a small blogging world! My husband works in Hillsboro and we don't live very far away...just over in Tigard.

It's so wonderful that all of you were all able to get together like that! When I started reading blogs about a year ago and reading about the women that were forming such wonderful friendships as a result of their blogs, I longed for the same thing. I'm finding it especially difficult to find local creative women who are also Christians. Guess we're in the minority here in the Portland area, huh?

I'll be bookmarking your blog to make sure I can keep up with your posts. I read through some of your earlier ones...you have such a wonderful attitude towards life and I love your writing!. :)

Unknown said...

If you ever have another Portland bloggerfest, drop me a note. I'd love to come crash your party!