Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Time Bank


Wouldn't it be great if there was a time bank where you could make deposits and withdrawals just like a real bank. Or, where you could make exchanges or trades? Or people could donate to your fund like a needy cause.

One of the biggest frustrations of my life is when I watch a movie or tv show that, well, to put it gently, smells like last Thursday's garbage. I absolutely hate that 20 minutes after the credits start rolling that I walk around muttering under my breath, "Man . . .I wish I could have that time back. What a waste!" There have been a couple of those recently. I suppose that's why I always watch tv and movies and try to do something else at the same time so I don't feel totally ripped off if the show is a stinker.

It happens in other areas of my life as well. Sometimes, I'll sit down at the computer to check emails and a few blogs and two hours later I'm still sitting at my desk with nothing really productive to show for it. Lately, I'm beginning to feel like I might need a technology fast. I'm sure I'd be amazed at how much time this little machine takes from my days.

Time is a precious commodity for two of us in our house. Our accounts are near the "red zone". Summer is here but Brad and I are busier than ever. Brad has taken an interim position as the director of High School ministries and we're trying to work as a team to help the students hang in there until we can hire a full time pastor for the position. He's painting and trying to tie up loose ends at school as well. I'm helping with our church's ESL program once a week and have had many requests to take pictures at special events lately. Add to that work, keeping the house running and planning the Reunion from Hell, things are a bit nutzo.

And yet there is at least one person walking around our house uttering those unthinkable words, "I'm soooo bored." Like I said, wouldn't it be great if I could put some of her free time into my account? Where are the lazy days of summer and could they kindly make a deposit into my account?

Here's where I'd spend it:
- wait for the hummingbird to drink from the flowers outside my window and try to take his picture
- paint my nails
- finish my books
- make a new necklace
- read all my magazines I haven't read yet
- make strawberry jam
- take my kids swimming
- take a bike ride to the park
- call a friend
- write a letter
- take a nap
- blog just a bit more regularly
- write my novel

2 comments:

Deirdre said...

Professing boredom within earshot of my mother was a direct request for something unpleasant to do for the rest of the day. It always involved housecleaning - deep cleaning, laundry, dishes.

I hate wasted time too. It would be nice to acquire an extra hour or two just because.

Jenny said...

What a great list. May you have all the time for it...