Friday, June 22, 2007

Huntin' Fairies

Today we took a field trip. The kids had worked hard on chores all week so we decided to go out for a fun lunch downtown at one of our favorite places on Hawthorne. Pepino's has wonderfully authentic Mexican food in a casual atmosphere and for very reasonable prices. I had the fish tacos, the kids had chicken soft tacos and we all agreed it was much yummier than a trip to a fast food joint.



Look at the cool window panes that hang from the exposed beam ceiling.

Then it was down the street to Powell's to pick up our copy of Blackbringer. Sadly, it wasn't on the shelf yet but after asking the rather grumpy lady in the children's section to please check for the book, she found it in the back. (Sorry Laini - I tried to get her to put copies on the shelf but she told me she didn't have time to do it just then. I managed to squeeze one copy on the shelf and left it facing out so passers-by could see it.)


The tweenette treated us to a reading of the prologue and part of the first chapter on the drive home. Laini writes with such incredible detail and I love the fairy world she has created. We had many discussions about some vocabulary that wasn't all to familiar to the kids (imp, perpetually and scarab) so I think reading through the book will be a great family time.

Again I just want to encourage you to get your copy soon! You can order from Amazon here. But what a fun afternoon to go downtown and mosey through fun shops. I'm a firm believer that book buying should be an experience beyond just sitting at your computer even if it costs a bit more. You can't get a whiff of that smell through the computer - you know the one, pages, ink and magic - that come when you step inside a book store. That my friends, is a fix for my spirit.

Congratulations Laini!

13 comments:

Jim Di Bartolo said...

This was awesome! :) Thanks for taking the time to search the book out, plow through a grumpy bookstore employee (which Powell's seems to employee in the countless droves frustratingly) AND front-face a copy for others to see! I'm sure I speak for both Laini and myself when I send a wholehearted THANK YOU your way! I hope (closer to "know," but I don't want to jinx it!) you and your kids enjoy the book!

Big thanks!
Jim

Laini Taylor said...

Wow, Kim, THANK YOU!!! Thank you for this wonderful post, for the scavenger hunt, and for your last post -- what wonderful support! thank you thank you thank you! I love knowing that you guys are reading it together!

As for Powell's, I am very sad they haven't bothered to put it on the shelf yet; I called yesterday and got the same underwhelming customer service over the phone; I DID tell them I was a local author, but that did not appear to dazzle her overmuch :-)

I'll try again in a few days, go by and sign any copies they have gotten on the shelf by then. Fingers crossed. Again, thank you so much! Can't wait to hear what you think!

Deirdre said...

I've been enjoying my copy like fine chocolate - a little taste, a savor, another taste - Laini's words are delicous. And Jim's art is fantastic too. Aren't we lucky?

Sunday Scribblings said...

P.S. I LOVE the look on your son's face in that picture. Too cute!
-Laini :-)

Deb R said...

I reallyreally want a signed copy, but I suppose I'll settle for Amazon, since I DO want to read the book!

I love the hanging window thingies in the restaurant! That's really cool.

Kamsin said...

Hope you're enjoying the book!
Just wanted to let you know that I've tagged you over on my blog. It would be great if you could play along, although of course you are totally free not to!

Michelle O'Neil said...

1) Could your kids be cuter? No, they could not.

2) Sounds like a great book. What ages is it recommended for?

3) Love independent bookstores!

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I agree with you about going into book stores to look around and buy the books right from the shelves. Much more fun, and my girls love it. Thanks for the tip on the book, we are going to look for it, it sounds great!! Love the pictures, your children are so cute!!

Jenny said...

I'm with ya on the book buying experience...I just get lost in bookstores.

Left-handed Trees... said...

Sounds like a delicious day--right up until the grumpy store clerk. Ah, well...you're getting to soak in the magic now anyway, so I guess it was worthwhile!
Love,
D.

Amber said...

Yes! We took a trip to the bookstore, and got ours as well! Yay! I am enjoying it very much. But the cover made Wyatt feel it migh tbe too scary for him "until he was maybe eight or something". LOL!

:)

Shelby said...

very interesting = I love bookstores!!

take care and happy Thursday :)

Unknown said...

So very true about books versa computers, the feel of paper between your fingers is so much more natural with a relaxing cup of tea.

Funny thou, as long as I have been a computer geek I still enjoy kicking back with a good book to read.

My first time here.