Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Neighborhood Watering Hole


Well, I'm happy to report that my efforts to attract some bird life to my backyard have been successful. I'm not quick enough to capture them with the camera but we've had a variety of little birdies visiting our lovely feeder and snacking as they make the rounds of the neighborhood. As an added bonus, we even had a little hummingbird visit last night to sip from the lovely little red flowers on a bush my mother gave me last year. (Sorry - I'd tell you the name if I could but I haven't got a clue!)

The problem is that our squirrels have discovered the bird feeders as well. One guy (not a very bright one) chewed through the rope that held up the bird feeder JT had made from a kit. Not just a thin rope. A 3/4 inch nylon rope. Stupid squirrel. A full bird feeder of premium (translate: expensive, already shelled seed) dumped all over the ground and the feeder can't be repaired.

The other feeder is made of copper with a copper chain so I know it's safe from the fate of the other. It hangs on a shepherd's hook by my fence but the darn squirrels have figured out a way to shimmy up the hook and hang upside down while helping themselves to the fillet mignon of bird feeders. I filled the feeder on Sunday and it was empty by last night. There are four of them, two older squirrels (mom and dad?) and two juveniles and I think the word has spread in the family that the buffet is on.

So my dear blogging friends, any advice for me? How do I keep the nice squirrel family from being piggy-poos at my bird feeders?

PS - I found out last night that my dear friend Rene reads my blog but doesn't leave me comments. Hi 'Ne! Miss you! Glad you guys are ok from the nasty tornado that blew through! Scary! Now leave me a comment you lazy thing! ;) Love you!

5 comments:

Amber said...

He sounds pretty smart to me! he figured out how to get himself a whole lotta food! lol. I think this is a big problem for people. my in-laws are always getting mad at the squirrels taking the bird feed.

:)

Deirdre said...

It's too bad squirrels are so cute. I'm sure there must be something to deter them. Have you tried checking with a farm supply store? They might know a few humane tricks that will keep the wrong critters away from the bird seed.

Jenny said...

Squirrels get at our feeders too.

Wanda said...

Hi Kim: Glad to be back home catching up on visiting you all.
We don't have squirrels anywhere new here! Or if we do, they are hiding real good.

Angela Marie said...

I am with Wanda on this one! From what I have seen, squirrels can get and go anywhere. I would say just to enjoy them too.

;)