Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Ideas Wanted


My workplace is hosting a variety of events in the next few weeks with a global focus. One of the events is a concert by Caedmon's Call, a group who is working with organizations around the globe to promote equality for all people groups. Specifically, they work with one of our partner organizations, Dalit Freedom Network, promoting justice, education and social freedoms for people of this persecuted caste in India. We are so excited to have them here in Portland on October 22nd.

So here's where I need you my friends. I'm responsible for putting together gift baskets for their hotel rooms and the "Green Room" at the concert venue. What would you like to get in a gift basket if you were an internationally known band promoting causes like social justice, compassion and helping those in poverty have a real chance at improving their lives? Keep in mind, we're a non-profit so there won't be any Rolexes or I-Pods in the baskets. What kinds of foods, crafts or other items from Oregon would be nice to have with you to remind you of your visit here? Any ideas? I'm hoping that your creative spirits will inspire me with just the right items for these baskets to make them feel welcome and appreciated. Thanks for the help!

12 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hey Kim,

I don't have any great ideas right off the top of my head regarding what to put in the baskets, BUT, I'd be happy to take you to the market to get baskets, filler and such at cost. That could be a really fun field trip! Let me know what you think.

Jennifer said...

Maybe call their management and find out what their favorite treats are (like nuts or candies...)

Kim G. said...

Cheryl - Good to see you online! :) Hope your wrist is healing well. I just might take you up on that offer for the baskets!

Jennifer - L. is calling the manager about the water and any allergy issues so maybe I'll ask her to follow up on that as well. Thanks so much for the great ideas you came up with today!

Jenny said...

Half bottle of red wine from Oregon, cheese, Oregon coffee, knick knacks from TenThousandVillages.com (fairly traded handmade crafts), a Christmas ornament from Portland and/or Oregon, a gift book such as Maya Angelou's poem Amazing Peace, anything from a local farmers' market. Whew.

Kevin said...

Kim,
If you could arrange a picture of your boss in one of the Village People costumes (the Indian outfit would be best) and put that in Cliff's basket specifically, he would bust up laughing. Cliff and I talked about that last month when I saw them in Denver and I dared him to get your boss on stage to do that with the band. Let's see if it happens. :)

Kim G. said...

Oh Kevin - I'd give a big ole' check to DFN to see that one happen! :)

Thanks for stopping by the blog!

Roadchick said...

Locally produced items (food or non-perishable) possibly from a co-op or shelter...soy candles, environmentally sound type things like recycled paper products (note cards, etc.) ...

Sounds like fun! Enjoy!

Amber said...

This might seem cheesy, but how about coffee mugs that say Oregon on them? And some local coffee beans. And maybe some local jams...

:)

Amber said...

Oh, and I love Caedmon's Call! Fun!

:)

Jennifer S. said...

Ooooo I LOVE Caedmon's Call! I have no idea what to put in the basket though... Some coffee?

briliantdonkey said...

Hey Kim,

Just stopping by for the first time in a while. Good to see you are doing well even if it sounds like you are busy. As for ideas, I don't know if it is a good one or not but maybe a book of crosswords or sudoku for the plane ride home would work. Kind of different than the other stuff you will be putting in there I am sure. Anyways something to consider.

BD

Anonymous said...

Sorry that I can't help you with ideas for gifts from Oregon, but fairly traded items would be good. Thanks for visiting my blog.