Thursday, October 26, 2006

Peekaboo . . .

No - not really hiding. Not on purpose anyway. Just busier than all get-out with a three week "conference" going on at work.

Great events. Great people. Lots of details. Late nights. Hope for the world. That's what it's been about.

And gift baskets.


Here they are in all their glory. Inside each was:
- Stumptown Coffee
- Nike hats
- Saltwater Taffy
- Stash Teas from India
- A glass etched Stash Tea mug
- Moonstruck Chocolate Bars
- Roasted hazlenuts, chocolate covered hazlenuts and hazlenuts with dried fruit
- Homemade Biscotti
- Homemade photo cards (thanks Michelle at Full Soul for that idea. Yours will be in the mail to you as soon as you send me an address!)


The concert was Sunday night and the band Caedmon's Call gave us a wonderful show. The musicians were so gracious and thankful for the little touches we put into the "green room" to make them feel more at home. There was fresh, line-caught, smoked Chinook Salmon, Salmon spread, fresh apples and pears from the local farmers' market, a wonderful dinner made by the catering staff at Sunset Church and Sparkling Pinot "Spruce Goose Juice" from Evergreen Orchards in McMinnville. Mandy Mann, and her husband Kevin were the opening act and she went above and beyond by filling in for the absent lead femal vocalist of CC who was home with very sick kidos. They were all just so kind and humble and - well, normal. They obviously love what they do and they are passionate about making a difference in the world. The concert offered attendees the opportunity to hear the plight of the Dalits of India. They are the people of the lowest Hindu caste and face enormous social and economic persecution. Tables at the concert were set up with pictures of Dalit children needing sponsorship to attend special schools set up by our partner organization and that evening, a record number of child sponsorships were collected. How great that our efforts and work provided not only a fun evening for people in Portland, but a real chance at hope for children half a world away . . . It makes the tiredness I feel this week much easier to bear.

Thanks to those of you who have asked about the blog and keep checking back despite my irregular posting lately. It will get better. I promise! In addition to the busy work schedule, I've been faced with some pretty heavy personal challenges lately. Nothing earth-shattering or tragic when compared to the events of the world, but some things that are causing me to ask hard questions about some of my beliefs and practices and how I communicate with others. All great fodder for the blog entries, if I can just keep up with the rest of life and make the time to write it down.

Blessings to you all!

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for catching us up on how you're doing! I've thought about you a lot this week. I guess the words "still slogging" come to mind...and wondered if you were doing the same. It will be good to hear more of your heart once you've had a chance to catch your breath.

You really did a beautiful job on the baskets, the green room and all the preparation for Sunday evening. (As well as votives for this week) I heard raves about your work! Thought I would tell you just in case you hadn't heard!!

Hope you have time--soon--to put your feet up and have a cup of tea!

Darlene said...

So nice to catch up and the baskets are simply yummy AND beautiful!

So sorry about the personal challenges *sigh* I so wish I could send you a bowl of cherries and a wink ;) AND some strength and perseverence to get through it all with grace.

And I know you will love,

XO Darlene

Deirdre said...

The gift baskets are exquisite. Now I really want chocolate! You have been really busy - I'm amazed you found time to write at all. It's good to read you again.

Deb R said...

Glad to see you checking in to Bloglandia, Kim. The gift baskets turned out just beautifully!!

Amber said...

That all sounds just wonderful! You did a great job. The baskets look fab, and the greenroom sounds great! yay!

I hope you are okay. My prayers for you, your prayers for me. Deal?

:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

Great to see you are doing okay and have just been a victim of busy-itis. Glad to see your party turned out well. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

BD

Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow Kim! You've been busy. I got the cards. They are BEAUTIFUL! Thank you so much!

What amazing work you are doing on so many levels!


P.S. Whatever the personal issues, be gentle with yourself. Gentle.

paris parfait said...

Hi Kim! I have missed reading your blog - whenever I had a chance to take a peek from Seville, either there were technical problems or you'd been busy and hadn't posted. So I will try to catch up with what I've missed. Thanks for your lovely comments. Sounds like a great job putting together the event (and yummy baskets).

Writer Bug said...

I love this line: "...some things that are causing me to ask hard questions about some of my beliefs and practices and how I communicate with others." Very thoughtful. Can't wait to read more

Jennifer S. said...

sounds like a wonderful concert. wish I could have been there but it was such a crazy time for me. the baskets look great.