Thursday, May 25, 2006

Poetry Thursday

This week's prompt was to find one line of poetry that inspires. I guess the line that jumps out the most to me as a writer and a reader is, "for life's not a paragraph". I know many of my blog friends would agree, a paragraph would never be enough life!

since feeling is first

since feeling is first
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you;

wholly to be a fool
while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
and kisses are far better fate
than wisdom
lady i swear by all flowers. Don't cry
- the best gesture of my brain is less than
your eyelids' flutter which says

we are for each other:then
laugh,leaning back in my arms
for life's not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis

ee cummings (1984-1962)

Blessings to you all!

3 comments:

Left-handed Trees... said...

Yes..."life is not a paragraph" resonates deeply. What a romantic poem, cummings, "swearing by all flowers". This obliterates the very idea that we could ever swear on anything else...

Jenny said...

I love this poem.

I just put two and two together and figured out that you write this blog. I've seen your comments on my blog and my friend's blogs before, but didn't realize you had a blog of your own (yes, I'm a little slow). I've enjoyed catching up on your writings.

Amber said...

"Kisses are far better fate than wisdom"-- how that speaks to me of young love! I can remember feeling like that a time or two.

:)