Saturday, September 15, 2007

The jig is up . . .

Last night as we were saying goodnight, N. lets out a squeal as she hugs me.

"Oh my gosh! Mooommm, I'm taller than you!"

"No you're not," I say. "I was leaning. I'm just not standing up straight. See?"

I pull myself all the way up to my 5 foot 3 inch self and stand nose to nose with her.

Crud.

"Mom - I AM taller than you!" she squeals.

"Brad - come here!" I call in desperation. Surely his desire to keep this teenager in her place will convince him to side with me at least this one last time. Nature is surely not going to let me get away with this much longer.

He brings the ruler over and we stand back to back and I know what's coming.

He holds the ruler still and we back away from it. It's tilting about a half inch higher in N's direction.

She giggles uncontrollably and does a little happy dance. "I'm taller than yu-u! I'm taller than yu-u!" she sings.

"Oh yeah? Well, I can still ground you missy! Now get to bed!" I give her a playful swat on the backside. But nothing will ruin her good mood.

Truth is, I think she's been taller than me for about 2 months but just didn't realize it. It was fun to see her confident and happy about this new season of her life, but it left me a little melancholy. My baby is really, literally, growing up.

8 comments:

Wanda said...

Oh I remember those days with my kids, and now if you've seen my post lately....my grandson Marc has reached 5'11". He towers over me now..! They love it, don't they.

Kamsin said...

I never made it to taller than my Mum! I'm way taller than my grandma but I think she's shrunk!

Amber said...

Oh how cute. Hehe

Wyatt is already up to my chin. He is probably almost as tall as you! lol

:)

Michelle O'Neil said...

I can't even imagine the day.

Michelle O'Neil said...

I can't even imagine the day.

Laini Taylor said...

Aah! That must feel pretty crazy. It's always funny wondering how tall kids are going to get. Sounds like it's time for you to start wearing platforms, hee hee!

Wanda said...

Are you OK? I come by every day! Pray everything is just busy and not bad.

Amber said...

OXOX

:)