Friday, January 05, 2007

Learning to Adapt


So I pulled one of the lessons from my previous post about perservering and creativity and found a way around my blogger problems. It seems that the missing buttons have something to do with my browser on my home computer. When I went into blogger at work (on a break, of course!), I could see the buttons just fine. But when I came home, they were gone again. When I tried to research this problem on the blogger message boards, they seemed to all say that the solution to the problem is running a different browser program like Firefox. As I read that, I grabbed the edge of my keyboard and shouted at the little man behind the screen, "But I DO run Firefox! At home AND at work. That can't be the problem!!" I tried a few more suggestions, emptying the cashe, rebooting - nothing. Still no buttons. The really frustrating thing - besides not being able to create a post with pictures or links, I wasn't able to leave a comment on any posts that require word verifications. The letters wouldn't appear on my screen. It was keeping me from commenting on some of my favorites and THAT was pushing me near the edge of a knicker-twisting fit of rage!

HMMMM . . . Creativity, perserverance, use the whole play book . . . my own lessons from the previous blog post swam in my head along with a few choice words for the invisible, inaudible, absent with no sign of returning, blogger support geeks who have yet to answer my cries for help. And then, a thought. What would happen if I went back to using Internet Explorer for my browser? What do you know - voila - the buttons are back!

So another reminder that these lessons that we learn on the journey, can be applied in so many different ways in our lives. The blog, in the grand scheme of things, not such a critical thing, but relationships, our passions, our convictions - they deserve the same attention to creativity and perserverance as we seek to make the journey richer for ourselves and the ones we love.

Delia over at Left Handed Trees wrote in her last post about intentions rather than resolutions. I told her I was going to adopt that word - bring it home, feed it cookies and give it a warm bed to sleep in. I want to be intentional in 2007. Intentional in my relationships, intentional in pursuing my passions and intentional in growing in my faith and following my God. I intend to write more about learning and how I can put into practice what I learn and hopefully something along the way will encourage you in your own intentions. (At the very least, you'll have one trick for finding missing blogger buttons!)

8 comments:

Amber said...

"knicker-twisting fit of rage!" -- Hehehehe

I have that happen with the word verfication stuff sometimes. I found that if I just put in metters, it will say I need to try again, and then one will pop up that I can see.

Although he might be a little new Age for you, you might look at the book The Power of Intention, by Wayne Dyer. It is a great book to get thinking about intention in our lives, and you can apply all the thoughts with your own sprirtual beliefs (i do)

oxox :)

Michelle O'Neil said...

Did someone say cookies?

Oh...sorry.

Glad you figured out the techy problem. It is so frustrating when those things happen. Always an opportunity to step back but so hard to remember in the moment!

Deb R said...

Yay on figuring out a solution to the problem! :-)

What game is your family playing there? I like the photo.

paris parfait said...

I like the idea of intentions too. As for Blogger, it can be infuriating for the readers as well! WHEN are they going to fix all the bugs??!! I like your phrase about adopting the idea, taking it home and feeding it cookies! :) Better days ahead! xo

Kamsin said...

Glad you got your buttons back, I found the same thing when it happened to me, that when I used a different browser (i.e. IE) at work it was fine, but they showed up back on Firefox (on my home PC) anyway. I guess it's just the blogger-Gremlins messing with all our heads!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the idea. I had my buttons, but my attempts to add images continued to fail. So, I used your tactic in reverse (I used Firefox), and voila! I was able to add an image tonight! I wouldn't have thought of it on my own. Thanks!

Leah Kadwell said...

Loved your last two posts, Kim. I appreciate the ways you and I are alike. We should go on a writing/speaking tour sometime. :)

Left-handed Trees... said...

Ooh, this is yet another Blogger issue lurking to get me next I'm sure. How great, in a way, (frustration and all) that the exact lesson you needed showed up for you...I seem to get this all the time myself. Looking forward to your offerings in 2007 about all that you are learning!
--D.--