Friday, August 18, 2006

The Welcome Mat


Summer is a tough time to blog. The desire is there but the sunshine and the outside activities seem to pull like a magnet. The smell of cut grass, blooming flowers and the musty smell of cool water against the warm pavement are hypnotic. The glowing lights of the monitor have no chance against the evening sun setting in the sky and the sounds of the kids playing "Sardines" in the street.

But the draw to blog is there also. In between trips to the pool, watering plants, having garage sales, cleaning said garage after the sale and all the other fun activities, I have been keeping up on my favorites and adding some new ones. At the beginning and ends of my day I often find myself stealing a few minutes to check on my favorites and make sure I'm not missing out on your pearls of wisdom or gems of humor.

In honor of some of my friends who have recently started blogs (Cheryl & Paula) and some recently discovered new favorites, I'm dusting off the welcome mat. If you have a chance, stop by their blogs and encourage them with a "welcome to blogging" comment. I know that meant so much to me in my early blogging days. You can look at my Blogrolling links to the left to see some of my friends and my favorites. If you haven't visted them yet, check out Michelle at Full Soul Ahead and Jenny at Roughly Speaking. Their efforts to move forward in their blooming writing careers have motivated and inspired me.

And if you're not participating in Sunday Scribblings yet, well, why not? It's a fun and encouraging way to practice your writing skills with a creative and often eye-opening prompt. I'd encourage you to check out the very talented writers that particpate each week. It's been a great way to connect with bloggers from all parts of the world and read some very amazing stories.

My bloggie-friend Amber continues to amaze me with her raw and honest writing about the struggles of her life and how she has overcome them. She has an absolutely heart-wrenching post up today that is worth the read for anyone who feels lost and is struggling to understand the trials they are in. I am so grateful for her insight and how she uses the lessons learned from her own pain to encourage others through theirs.

Pimping my Honey: Not to brag or anything, but go to my friend Dean's blog to read about a really cool project my hubby was involved in this summer. (Read the two entries about the roof.)

Lastly, I've been grazing through a stack of books this summer working on my creativity in respect to writing. This morning I read this in Julia Cameron's, The Artist's Way and it made me think of all my blogging friends.

"Artists love other artists. Shadow artists are gravitating to their rightful tribe but cannot yet claim their birthright. Very often audacity, not talent, makes one person an artist and another a shadow artist - hiding in the shadows, afraid to step out and expose the dream to the light, fearful that it will disintegrate to the touch."

I think one of the reasons I love blogging so much is because I'm in that shaddow spot and working up the courage to step into the light. I think I've got maybe a foot out so far, but slowly and surely, I'm drawing enough wisdom, encouragement and power from those who are living their dreams that someday I'll emerge with words and stories and characters to share with anyone who will read them. So thanks to all of you, and you're welcome at my door, physical or virtual, anytime!

9 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow Kim! So many great leads to check up on. Thanks for those and for giving me a shout. I think you are further out of the shadow than you think!

Love your welcome mat too. You have great pictures along with your great writing.

Cheryl said...

Kim,

Thanks so much for the heartfelt "welcome"! I'm having so much fun already! Thanks for the encouragement. I'll enjoy reading your blogs regularly as well as the many others you've recommnended. Thanks again!

Kamsin said...

Hi Kim

Thanks so much for including me in your list of favourites. I'm excited to check out some of the others in the next few days. I too am constantly torn between the desire to get outside and enjoy the weather and keep up with blog reading and writing. I love your blog title btw, it really is a beautiful phrase.

Polina said...

Kim,

I'm here in Cour d'Alene and loving it...so beautiful, saw a bear and thought it was person dressed up as a bear! HA HA, guess this "City" girl needs to get out more often....

Loved your blog, just checked it out, thanx for mentioning mine...you inspire alot of people, keep writing, sister....

love ya,
Paula
"P"

Amber said...

I am sending love back to you, my bloggy friend. I deeply appreciate your words and support.Deeply.You bless me. ;)

I am going to go welcom your friends.

oxox
:)

Jenny said...

Thanks, Kim. I appreciate the link -- I plan to update my blogroll this week too! Okay, I'm off to check out the other blogs you've mentioned . . .

Yolanda said...

I found your blog thru Sunday Scribblings I think. I bookmarked it and have been reading it ever since. I will be moving to your area on sunday of this week. I was wondering can you recommend any good churches . I am a nurse and more than likely will be working at Legacy EMmanuel or Legacy in Tualatin.I enjoy your blog much and have it bookmarked.
yolanda

Jennifer said...

Kim,
I love to read what you write! Thank you so much for sharing your heart and gifts. Also...thanks for stopping by my blog. I really appreciated your note!
Jenn

briliantdonkey said...

I can't say what has already been said any better than it has already been said. Thanks for the leads as well as the great posts you put up yourself as well.

BD