Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Late bloomer

This has been quite a year for me. Always a fan of the written word and an avid book junkie since toddlerhood, my love of reading has been a constant in my life. Right on it's heels was a simmering desire to write. The stories and essays were always there in my head, like a constant humming of people talking behind a closed door. This year the proverbial "heat" was turned up and the door cracked open as circumstances propelled me towards realizing this desire to be one that puts words to paper for the enrichment of my soul and the hopeful encouragement of others. There were opportunities through my job, my volunteer ministry and even in furthering my education through a writing intensive class.

And then there's blogging.

Who would have known that this wonderful world existed a year ago? I thought blogs were for hormonal, pimply teenagers to share secrets, slander and smut. Who would've known that I would connect with REAL writers, published authors, people who KNOW HOW TO WRITE and get paid for it? (Or at least, have their words published in a periodical of some variety.) Who would have known that I could learn so much from reading the daily writings of others, professionals and amateurs but all passionate about sharing their heart? How could I have imagined how their wonderfully creative expressions would ignite fires in my own creative heart that would start slowly, like a gentle flickering flame, but hold all the promise of blazing into a roaring campfire - if I keep feeding it? Who would have known? Not me.

As I get ready to watch another birthday scream past me at warp speed this weekend, I thought it would be fun to list ten things that I've done in the past year to bring me closer to the goal of having my writing "out there" for public consumption.

1. Wrote a 14 day devotional for adults taking short term trips overseas. Wrote introductions and study questions from the Bible about grace, justice, mercy, love and provision. I loved this project!

2. Adapted the 14 day devotional for a group of kids that went on one of the trips.

3. Started journaling again. Not super regular on the hand-written journaling, but trying to be better about this honest, truthful and sriving for UNEDITED writing.

4. Served on a "print team" for a major fundraising event. A great opportunity to work on a team of devoted folks for a great cause.

5. Participated in a very fun book club that kept me from reading the same kinds of books over and over. A great group of gals who have challenged me to keep thinking about why authors write the way they write.

6. Took a class about writing Bible studies from the local seminary. (The very kind teacher, a published author of studies herself wrote lovely comments on my work and even said she would pray that I would find a publisher - wow, that was a boost to my fragile ego!)

7. Was asked to write a study for our women's group by a highly respected woman in our church. She has been so supportive of me through this process and is one of my greatest cheerleaders. It's such an honor to be asked by her!

8. Took a "spiritual retreat" day in June. Wrote, took photos, walked and just enjoyed time with my Creator.

9. Entered one of my rose pictures in the county fair! (It's at the top of this post.) Something I NEVER thougth I would do! Tomorrow the fair opens and we're going to go see it hung with all the other ARTISTS and I will smile as I think of all the very talented women whose blogs have inspired me over the past few months.

10. STARTED A BLOG! One of the best things I could have done as it has allowed me to read so many GREAT blogs, "meet" so many interesting people and learn so much about the creative process. The words of encouragement and challenge have meant so much and I am so thankful for this. The act of journaling online, writing to prompts and peeling back the layers of writing "propriety" to get to the heart is something that I know will take my writing to a deeper, purer level.

When I see all that I've done in a year, I'm not so depressed about turning a year older. I will drink a glass of chardonay in the twilight of the evening, smile at the sleepy stars coming out for their night-shift and say a little prayer for all the women who have inspired me this year to be true to my God, be true to my heart and to be true to the desire to WRITE and CREATE!

3 comments:

Deb R said...

Kim, that photo is gorgeous!! Do you know yet if you got a ribbon for it, or will you not know until tomorrow?

That's a great list of accomplishments and I'm really glad you started blogging and glad I found your blog.

Amber said...

Wow, that is so wonderful! Look at you, writing away! Good good good.

And I feel the same about blogging. It has been such a surprise to me. And good for my creative fires.

:)

briliantdonkey said...

That is indeed a beautiful picture. So much of what you said in this post rings true to me as well. I am fairly new to blogging myself, and still surprised that blogging is soooo much more than the 'diary' that I had thought it to be before.

Nice post,

Rob