Friday, July 21, 2006

Countdown Meme


The mercury is hitting 105 today in Hillsboro, OR and it is HOT! We are chillin' inside tonight, eating shrimp salad and watermelon and looking forward to ice cream for dessert. To match the light dinner, here's a light blog entry that I borrowed from Deb.

10 Random things you may not know about me:
- I hate watching and form of boxing or wrestling (I say this because Brad just changed the chanel to one of those horrible cage match kind of fights - eeewww!)
- I love watching football - especially college games.
- I wanted to be an actress for a long time. I had the lead role in two plays in the 6th grade. I played Hecuba in "The Trojan Women" and the Conductor in a little play called "The Music Machine". It was not to be and now I have to get my fix through live theater every once in awhile.
- I love shopping for office supplies. They are like accessories for my desk and I'm a clearance aisle junkie when I go to Office Depot.
- I love growing flowers but I hate working in the yard. I wish I could just pay someone else to plant them and then I'll just water and enjoy them. (Wait, isn't that what a husband is for?)
- I had my first kiss at 15. The guy was 23. I know, gross . . . he worked across the street from me and he was my first true love (so I thought, now - a pedophile in my book). Thankfully, I was committed to abstinance and I told him so. By a miracle of God I made it out of that relationship with my purity in tact.
- The taste of raspberries always reminds me of my English Grandmother. She made tarts with them once while I was at her house and they were the lovliest thing I've ever eaten.
- I hate math. I made it all the way through college without taking a math class. I can measure, balance my checkbook and compute averages and discounts, but beyond that, I'm a bit hopeless. There were some times this year that I really had no clue how to help my daughter with her 6th grade math. It's kind of embarassing. Thank goodness Brad's got lots of friends in the teaching world with math endorsements!
- I got married at the age of 21. It was right for me, but I wonder if I'd want my daughter to marry that young.
- I never have taken any illegal drugs. They have NEVER held any appeal to me. I have too much of a fear of getting caught. I think I wrote about this in another meme - it's why I was such a "good" girl in high school. The fear of getting caught was much greater than any fun I'd have in the questionable activity.

9 Places I've Visited
- York, England
- Victoria, B.C.
- Nashville, TN
- Boston, MA
- San Francisco, CA
- Disneyland
- Seattle, WA
- Kansas City, MO
- Crazytown - my own backyard!

8 Ways to win my heart
- Buy me a book - any book!
- send me a card
- bake me a goody
- do something nice for my kids
- do one of my chores for me
- do two of my chores for me :)
- fight for justice in the world
- help someone in need

7 Things I want to do before I die
- see a college football game
- take Brad to England
- take Brad to Boston
- get published
- see my children grow up and marry incredibly loving people
- hold my grandchildren
- share my faith with my parents in a way that they would truly understand my committment to Christ

6 Things I'm afraid of
- Rats, mice and any other furry rhodent kind of critter
- drowning
- driving over bridges (not deathly afraid, just uncomfortable)
- Being separated from my family during a natural disaster
- Cancer (Breast cancer runs in my family and is 100% fatal - it strikes women in their 30's to 50's. It's on my father's side so many in the medical field think I'm not at any greater risk, but it's obviously genetic. I took high school biology and I know how basic genetics works. I get half from mom, half from dad. So how can a doctor assure me that I won't get that little gene that allows deadly tumors to grow? I don't obsess over this, but it is a big concern for me.)
- Alzheimers. I hate to forget things.

5 Things I don't like
- Water Chestnuts
- Cauliflower
- Horror Movies
- Red Wine (I know, I'm a freak!)
- Coffee

4 Ways to turn me off
- Complain endlessly, and be unwilling to take any advice to change
- Ignore me
- Criticize your loved ones in public
- Say you'll do something and then bail on me. This is ok once or twice, but if you make it a pattern, don't expect me to jump everytime you call.

3 Things I do every day
- make a cup of tea in the morning (English, of course!)
- tell my family I love them
- pray

2 Things that make me happy
- doing something nice or serving someone who wasn't expecting it
- hearing my kids belly-laugh

1 Thing on my mind right now
- Should I be watering, or is it still too HOT??

That's me tonight! I tag anyone who's interested in doing this little meme! Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Laini Taylor said...

What a great list, Kim! (except for the obvious freakishness of not liking coffee OR red wine!) Such warmth and spirit shows through here; you have such good priorities in your life. And as for the heat, EGAD! I'm in the one air-conditioned room in our house right now and I'm still melting!

Amber said...

You have never been to a college football game??! What?! It's not to far to Portland, sister, and fall is comin' up! ;)

And listen, they say it is going to be 110 here tomorrow! A 110!! Pft!

:)

Deb R said...

That was so fun to read your answers. How the heck did you make it all the way through college without taking a math class?? I would have LOVED to do that, but where I went to school you had to have one basic one no matter what your major, so I took the most basic one I could and prayed. It was one of the lowest final grades I made in any course I took and I was so grateful just to have passed I could've just about kissed the professor! :-D