Saturday, June 17, 2006

A Public Service Message on Intent


A public service message about intent. Make sure that if you offer something, you’re ready to deliver.

Yesterday, I was feeling frisky. I had been to work for an hour, rushed to the bead store and managed to make teacher gifts in record time. (Stone pendants on sterling silver chain – for less than $8 each! Made in 20 minutes flat!) Went to the school and picked up the ecstatic rugrats from their last 1/2 day of school and we headed off to meet my sister and her kids for lunch. I was feeling good. Still floating on a high from my mini-retreat earlier in the week, a finished draft of a big project that I’ve been working on, and the amazing news that earlier this week, my post for Blogging 4 Books was in the finals. This one gave me extra air in my jets as this is the first writing contest I’ve ever entered, and even though it’s on the smaller side (30 entries) it did give me a boost to hear I’d made it to the final round. Like I said, I was feelin’ frisky – and I should know that’s when I get into trouble.

At lunch my little niece E. says, “Can I come spend the night at your house?” The normally high-maintenance fussy little blonde-blue-eyed munchkin was being very good at the burger joint while her younger sister A. was crying over the lack of a bandaid for her sore thumb. But you have to understand A. – if ever there was a poster child for an adult that is going to develop OCD, she’s it. And I don’t mean any disrespect to anyone who might suffer from that condition, it’s just that I’ve never seen a more PICKY kid in my life. The waitress kindly brought a bandaid when she learned of A’s distress. But when we opened it up, it was – gasp – blue. You could see the look of disgust on her 4-year old face. I simply cannot wear a blue bandaid, it looks like a boy’s bandaid! She continued to cry throughout the meal. My sister tried to console her. Me – I would have taken her for a timeout to the car. My sister and I have very different parenting techniques. Needless to say, my kids – very low maintenance, her kids – off the charts when it comes to maintenance!

So in a moment of delusion I said to E, “You know honey, if you had packed your overnight things, you could have spent the night tonight. We’ll have to plan it for another night this summer.”

To which, my sister quickly piped in, “You know – I just bought them new outfits at the mall. They could do it tonight.”

I felt the rope tighten. I was thinking about well behaved E. when I made that offer. She was including whiny A. in the deal. Back paddle, back paddle, back paddle . . . .

Well, long story short, I drove away from the burger joint with my kids and my two nieces in the car. It was off to Target to buy nightgowns and toothbrushes (A. couldn’t tolerate the thought of wearing a t-shirt of my son’s for jammies and once E. caught wind that A. was getting new jammies, the jig was up), movies, popcorn, snacks and fresh play-dough for the evening.

Here’s just a smattering of the comments throughout the evening.

“Auntie Kim, can you please take the nuts out of this bread?” No – in fact I can’t E. It’s 8 grain bread, the nuts are baked in.

After I have totally cleaned the kitchen from the dinner prep. “Auntie Kim, I don’t like this sandwich. Can you make me grilled cheese in stead?”

“Auntie Kim – does this popcorn taste like our popcorn at home?” I have no idea, why don’t you TRY IT?!!!

A. shudders as I bring out a non-gendered plum colored sleeping bag for her for the night. With no Barbie or Disney princess on it, she is thrown into a panic. “Is that a boy or girl sleeping bag Auntie Kim?” It’s neither I explain. “But who sleeps in it?” she wants to know, my son or my daughter. I patiently explain that both kids have used it. She finally accepts that it is ok and the only other option is a hunter green sleeping bag that is obviously male gendered in color.

By bedtime, I felt like my brain would explode from the high-pitched noise that had been the constant background that has been my house for the past 8 hours. Bed was a welcome respite until the fun started again this morning. They are wonderful girls and I love them dearly but I think I’ll be smiling when I drop them off at their mom’s later this morning. God is continuing to teach me about intent – the lesson here, don’t offer unless you’re willing to deliver.

SEGWAY HERE – Speaking of smiling, the picture today is of my favorite new rose I discovered at my retreat at the rose garden this week. It’s called “Distant Drums” and the middle section is a lovely fleshy brown and it blends to pink as the petals go out. It was truly spectacular and I can’t wait to begin the search for one to put in my garden. Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Amber said...

LOL! Bless her heart, but that would make me nuts-o.

Your rose is lovely! And congrats on your wirting contest! That is great!

:)

Laini Taylor said...

Oh my goodness, a boy bandaid? Where do they learn this? Poor you! And for future refernence, what's your secret for raising the un-fussy variety of rugrat? I'm taking notes!