Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Winter Funk



I think I'm in it to my neck right now.

I just can't seem to shake the feeling that I'm slodging through my days with boots caked with layers of mud on the bottom. It's that heavy feeling, like each step takes more and more effort, but covers less and less space.

I've been trying to keep up my reading as that seems to add light to the days as we're waiting for the warmer days of Spring. Finished Blue Like Jazz and loved the prose and the stories. But I was left feeling like, "OK God, now what do I do with this?" It has challenged me to think about my faith and how much of it is just the "window dressing" of Christianity and how much is a true devotion to a savior. Sometimes looking closer at our flaws and imperfections can be just down-right unsettling. Especially when we think we're at a place where we're pretty "together".

Next on the reading list: Will in the World, by Stephen Greenblatt (started this one this week and it's bringing back wonderful memories of all my Shakespeare classes!); A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell (the new book club selection); Journey to the Well by Vashti M. McKenzie; Death Sentences by Don Watson (a book for grammar geeks like myself) and Son of a Witch (sequel to Wicked - a recent addition to my all-time favorite list) by Greggory MacGuire. Yes, I'm one of those schitzophrenic readers that can't just read one book at a time. I'll probably have 2 or 3 going at once. If anyone stumbles across my little ol' blog, I'd love to hear what you're reading. Let me know what's on your nightstand or in your backpack!

Anyway - coundown to Disney has started. We leave in 17 days! Hooray! The Happiest Place on Earth should be a good way to shake the winter blues! Splash Mountain, here I come!

2 comments:

Alex S said...

I have never heard of ANY of those books you mentioned in your post today! I look forward to exploring them on Amazon. So glad to have crossed paths with you!

Laini Taylor said...

Hi Kim! I just clicked to your blog from your comment on Alexandra's -- and seeing you live in Oregon, and your current reading list made me gasp: first, I got to take Stephen Greenblatt's Shakespeare survey when he was a professor at Berekeley (& one of my best friends was an assistant editor for him on the Norton Shakespeare anthology... was that the one he did?) AND I just read A Thread of Grace a few books ago and it completely blew my mind (wrote about it in my Feb 12 post). Loved her other 2 novels, too, just as much. You're going to love it, especially as someone who is musing much about faith right now -- I think all her books will really appeal to you. Glad to meet another local blogger!