Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Would the Bible get a PG-13 rating?


I've recently started reading Don Miller's Blue Like Jazz and there's no shortage of things to think about from his "take" on Christianity. I love, love his honest raw responses to the way that Christan culture often focuses on the children's versions of the doctrine of the Scriptures. He points to the way many who grew up in the church were taught about the story of Noah. Instead of focusing on the depravity that must have existed for God to destroy the world by flood, we instead focus on the menagerie of animals on the ark. This especially struck me as this week, my small group was studying the Old Testament story of Joseph and as I was reading, I kept picturing the animated character from my kids movie, Joseph. While I once thought, "How great - make more of these animated stories of the Old Testament so my kids will respond/reflect/learn from them the truths of God's Word!" I'm now starting to question the wisdom of this. Do we dillute the real messages of the Word when we offer them up in the same category as bed-time stories? Does offering a visual picture of events or characters of the Bible lead us down the slippery slope where our impulses are to sanitize some of the more uncomfortable events of the Scriptures?

Hmmm . . . . something for me to think about . . . . more on this to come . . .

No comments: