Friday, March 31, 2006

Things I learned on vacation . . .


1. My family will talk with anyone. All of us. Disney offered ample opportunity for us to chat up fellow riders in the long lines that were waiting at each attraction. We met great people from California, Iowa, Colorado, Arizona, and many from Oregon who were on spring break as well. My kids are growing up to be as outgoing as their charming dad!

2. Disney and the people behind the corporate machine of the organization are brilliant. Say what you will about the way they mass market their characters to the death, but these people are incredibly talented. The rides, the shows, the experience - amazing. I would love a job where you figure out how to create a ride that looks like it was made out of things from your garbage can! (The Bug's Life rides at Californial Adventure were so wonderfully creative - a 7 foot replica of a cool whip container was the base of one of the rides!)

3. My daughter is much braver than I am. She started the week adamant that she WOULD NOT ride ANY roller coasters. She ended it by riding the California Screamin' ride (the one that goes upside down) and BEGGING us to take her on Space Mountain before we could leave Disneyland on our last day. I am so proud of her.

4. My family can survive and even enjoy a 17 hour car ride when split into two days if there is a portable DVD in the vehicle. (That was a purchase worth every penny!)

5. I spend too much time on the computer and am too obsessed with the minute details of daily national and local news. I survived for a whole week on 10 minute rations of local California evening news. (But I missed reading my favorite blogs and am trying to catch up on everyone's news!)

6. I really needed a vacation! I'm tired, but I have so enjoyed not thinking about the daily frustrations that had been weighing so heavily on me lately. I'm going to enjoy the rest of the weekend before heading back to the real world on Monday.

Hope those of you on spring break had as much fun as we did!

1 comment:

Laini Taylor said...

I love Disneyland! We haven't been since 1999 (oy!) but will probably go in August. So glad you had a good family vacation -- i still remember trips there as a little kid, and I agree with you that no matter how maniacal their corporate machine might be, they're pretty dang good at what they do!

(and my family, too, has "never met a stranger" - my mom will talk to anyone anywhere. it's a good way to be.)