Wednesday, October 31, 2007

It counts . . . right?


My first publishing credit. I wrote lucky chapter 13 of this book almost a year ago. The book came out last week and I got to hold it in my hot little hands and see my name in print. Very cool. Very inspiring. It certainly won't make me famous and probably only a few folks will know where to find my chapter and name in the book, but for the first time, I really feel like when people call me a writer, I might not just have to cringe and look over my shoulder to see if someone's waiting to bust me for being a poser. I guess if you're published, you're allowed to be called a writer.

Just finished a very busy time of year at work so I'm hoping the fall and winter season will offer some more time to get fingers to the keyboard. Earlier this week I received a gentle kick in the but from my patient husband. I've been talking about a particular writing project for a while now and the poor guy got sick of the talk. He told me, "Go look at the computer screen." There was a title page and table of contents for my book project all written out and ready to go. The poor guy had even gone as far to write the acknowledgment for me. "I would like to thank my adoring husband for kicking my butt to write this book. Someday, I can send my kids to college with the money made from this project . . . " Got to love a man of vision and action!

To top it all off - I got flowers today from a couple of my dear friends. Just because. Isn't that awesome?

If you're interested in the book, find it here.

10 comments:

Alex S said...

I think almost the same exact comment was made my one of my favorite writers and she ended up finally completing her first book! But now I can't remember her name but she wrote "The Midwife's Apprentice." I just saw your comment on Laini's that you are going to Wordstock-I'm going to go too to see Laini so maybe we can meet up first or afterwards and finally have plans! I'm sorry I have been totally incommunicado for so long! I keep meaning to contact you! But let me know about Wordstock- that would be so fun to get together again.

Alex S said...

Oh I just realized I forgot to say what comment that was, just that this author's husband said the same thing to her and it was just the kick in the pants she needed too!

Jenny said...

Kim!! Congrats :-)

Deirdre said...

Congratulations! Yes, I think you can call yourself a writer without looking over your shoulder. This is very cool.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Another wonderful Kim's recent post gives the definition of a writer. (Scroll down to # 5).

http://changing-trains.blogspot.com/

Congratulations Kim! It totally counts.

Wanda said...

How exciting...Congratulations Kim. You are an amazing woman.

Matt Mikalatos said...

Congrats! Of course this counts. You're a professional now. Keep it up!

Jennifer said...

I'm friends with a famous person!
Great job, Kim! (of course I thought of you as a professional writer long before this)

Amber said...

YES, you are a writer. Yay! That is very, very cool. I am proud of you friend! :)

And how cool is that? To get flowers from someone just because? Nice.

Love you.
:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

That is so cool that you are published in this book! Congratulations!!! Yes, you are a writer indeed! Well done!