Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Hide the sharp objects . . . .




. . . there's a teenager in the house. That's right - today my baby girl turns 13. She was born at 10:21 pm on a hot summer night 9 days late. The first words out of one of the nurses when they put the girl on the scale to weigh her was, "Oh my God!" Turns out my little princess was not so little. She was 10 pounds 15 1/2 ounces at birth. I joke that if Brad had taken me to dinner the night before, we could have put on that last half ounce and had ourselves an eleven pounder.

Truly, it was wonderful having a big baby. She was healthy and sturdy and didn't feel like she was going to break when you picked her up. I remember going to a breastfeeding clinic a few days after she was born and the other moms there were just amazed at the baby girl's size. She never wore 0-3 month clothes and only wore 3-6 month clothing for about the first 6 weeks. A friend of ours at church just recently had a 10 pound boy and I saw him today and it brought back wonderful memories of my summer baby girl.

Now she is a teenager and that extra size that she has carried for her whole life is more of a struggle than a blessing to her. Now we walk the fragile tightrope of working for a healthy self-image that brings about positive changes and not negative feelings. A sweeter and more loving girl, I couldn't ask for. She is so much like her dad - very relational, gets along with everyone and lives to spend time with the ones she loves. She's great about being honest with me and is quick to apologize when she knows she's gone over the boundaries too far. I love that she has inherited my love for reading and the theater. We saw "Hairspray" together last night and had fun singing the songs and talking about the movie on the way home. There are some great things about her getting older and sharing more grown-up experiences with her.

A good friend who was one of the first to visit us in the hospital after N. was born came up to me at work today and put a hand on my shoulder. With a knowing and concerned tone, he asked, "How are you doing?" (He's raised his own teenage daughter, now in her twenties and married.)

"Two arguments already and it's only 9:00 am in the morning. I think I have a teenager in my house," I said.

Happy Birthday sweetie girl! Love you tons!

13 comments:

Deb R said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful baby girl!!!

Deirdre said...

Happy Birthday to your pretty girl! You seem to be starting the teenage years nicely, even with two arguments first thing. :)

Libby said...

I remember when N was born! I don't recall my age at that time or where I "was" in life, but I DO remember. It was like I was watching from a distance, and I'm certain that a teeny part of me envied Mrs. G. because she now had a baby...who now has a teenager. Happy birthday to you N from afar, and yet not so very far at all....still watching.

Wanda said...

Beautiful daughter, beautiful tribute...Happy Birthday dear....what a wonderful age "teenage"!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl!

Tammy Brierly said...

It's a tough time Kim but it sounds like this sweetie has a great support system.

Happy 13yrs with many more to come.
HUGS

Amber said...

Happy Birthday Girly!! I hope it is/wonderful the whole year long.

And WOW! You are the only person I know who has had a bigger baby than Wyatt! LOL! How long was she? Wyatt was 23 1/2 inches. And he is also still a "big" guy. We are trying to be healthy as well, while letting him be who he is.

It is hard to be a teen these days. I hope love and good friends surround her and lift her up!

:)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your daughter! Happy Birthday to her!!!

Writer Bug said...

Such a sweet post! I love the pic of her and the flowers. Her beauty shines through them! Enjoy this chaotic time of her (and your life).

Left-handed Trees... said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY birthday...I'll be keeping an eye on things as they develop for you (I have a pre-teen in my house myself--oh my).
Love,
D.

Anonymous said...

I know I probably was not souposed to look at this but my eyes just happend to wander to this page. Mom that is what you get 4 leaving a page open about your daughter and then leaving the house. :) hehehe! but when i was reading this my eyes filled with tears. i am so blessed to have a mom that will take the time to brag about me.Hehehehe! :)
Thanks-
N :)

Angela Marie said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! They do grow up so fast.

Lisa Romeo said...

My son has been 13 for a few months...welcome. Sure, it's different with a boy (no makeup arguments!) but much is the same...he's super slim, so he's just starting to worry that that is not a great thing for a boy...fashion-wise we have our moments (all shorts much cover the knee by 2 inches)...and oh, that negativity just for the sake of being contrary...but then there is the cool stuff -- that changed voice, the way he reads the newspaper and then TALKS to me about it, not to mention being able to ask him to reach a high shelf!